Sunday 3 February 2013

Work

I get the odd comment from people that I lead the lifestyle they can only dream of. One which appears to include little work, lots of photos of blue skies and palm trees and presenting a positive picture. Which on the whole it is. Mainly because I live in a tropical country which has an awful lot of blue skies and palm trees. I also work 50 hours plus a week. That bit perhaps is not so widely known.

I work for English First Indonesia and my centre is in Puri Indah, west Jakarta. I have worked for EF for 6 years now and despite some western peoples opinions I enjoy the work, the environment and the lifestyle it affords me. 
The reception area of my centre at Puri Indah

I start work somedays at 8 and some at 11 and never finish before 7 as a rule. I also work almost every Saturday morning. I don't complain about that because I understand that is something that is required of me and I agreed to doing it and enjoy it so why moan? I also travel through the city every day on a motorbike to get to work and back and that normally takes around 45 minutes each way. The reason I live so far from work is purely a personal one for my wife and a decision which I made. The journey by bike is pretty straight forward except experiencing life of death moments every day and due to the pollution I am sure the air I breathe is the same as smoking 30 cigarettes a day. 

My work is always fun, never dull, always challenging and teaching and training always has its rewards and so I am never bored. Just lke working anywhere else in the world, there are good days and bad days but every day is different as are the people I work with. 
My team is a mix of western and Indonesian teachers and staff. I have worked with teachers from many western countries and backgrounds who are here for many different reasons which adds to the fun. 

Working for the worlds largest provider of English language teaching also has its merits, such as its ability to provide new and exciting courses, training, promotional opportunities and so on. 

However, working and living in Indonesia for me is different to working and staying in Indonesia. The difference being the lifestyle and the responsibility. Now being married with a child on the way, life is more real for me, in the sense that there is very little difference to how it used to be for me back in England (except I was not married nor expecting a child) but the rest is the same. Bills, Shopping, making ends meet etc. These things are the same throughout the world. 

So, when I do get the opportunity to post photos and comment about how wonderful it is out here, it is exactly that. I am fortunate that I can if I choose go somewhere in a country of islands and be on a paradise island with in a couple of hours. That is something I am grateful for and which makes living here so much better. I am also in the middle of a city of 20 million people and that also has its rewards and fun bits. 

With a family to support now, the trips are less frequent. Moving to the house we are in now in a way helps make up for that. Why? well this is the first time I have been able to blog outside in the cooler evening air, with blue skies and whispy white clouds above, looking out at the tall and not so tall buildings to the north and listening to some guy at the local mosque telling us all something before its prayer time. 

Sitting here is exactly what I need now and I shall continue to enjoy it for a long time coming.

Why complain about that?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Luke,
I am going to say what I have said over and over again : " I am very happy that you enjoy living in Jakarta ".
Many people say that the motorbike is a very good alternative transportation especially if you have to travel quite far every day.
I also live in the South and until the end of last year I worked in Pulogadung, East Jakarta, so I used the toll road everyday.

Ria Tumimomor said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your life here in Jakarta, Luke :) Keep on sharing with us your point of view about Jakarta and it's people ^_^

colson said...

Som after all the paradise is still a paradise but an ordinary paradise :).

What's intriguing is why one day you found yourself in Jakarta of all places. ( My youngest son is also living in Jakarta with his Indonesian wife and child. His interest in Indonesia started early; his mother was born in Sumatra and lived there).

Unknown said...

What a fabulous share of your life! I have a friend that spent a few years i Jakarta and told me how wonderful the people were there. She is an American and the people received her with open arms. Kind and giving. Hey, Maybe that's why you live there!

Unlike the US, where people rush their lives away, Jakarta seems like a lovely place to live.

Now, as for business, seems to me that you enjoy your work. Many bloggers talk about "financial freedom" and not having a job anymore. But if a person enjoys what they are doing like you, what is the difference?

At this point of your life with a wife and a baby on the way, you need some steady income. I know...been there and done that! As long as we are happy with our life, we are on the right road.

Thank you for sharing your story,
Donna

Unknown said...

Hi Harry, Yep always enjoy it. Jakarta continues to grow on me thats for sure.

Hi Ria, thanks for the comment. Despite its madness and obvious faults it is still a fun place to be.

HI Colson, I often ask myself the same question! But here I am with no plans to leave.

Hi Donna, Thanks for your comment. We all blog for a different reason I guess and the comments left on my blog are from people who all post personal points and observations, all which are worth reading and following

Emmarey said...

Hi Luke,
I love reading your blog! Very very informative. My husband and I are taking a celta course in December (seems like ages away!). Jakarta is definitely the number one place that we would love to work in.
Best wishes,
Emma

Jolly Princess said...

My sister is a teacher like you and she loves her work. For her it is a career. She is a kindergarten teacher and loves her pupils like her own kids. She is a great attraction to parents as they know their children are well taken care of. Aside from being a kindergarten teacher she tutors in English and Math during summer vacation for high school students. Her greatest reward is knowing some of her pupils and students graduated with honors.

Unknown said...

Hi Emmarey, good luck with your Celta. There are lots of opportunities to work in Jakarta as teachers, just make sure you choose the right place to be.

Hi JP, I enjoy all aspects of teaching. Being with people who are all different and enjoy life keeps me younger / younger, wears me out and keeps me on my toes. There is a lot of personal reward in teaching thats for sure.

Unknown said...

Hey Luke, great to know that you're enjoying your life in Jakarta. Love the view from your balcony! I'm kind of envious actually. I planned to visit Jakarta this summer, but have to cancel it because I'm moving to Denmark in August and my budget is kindda tight. sigh

P.S. What a small world we live in. My uncle lives in Cengkareng area, so when I read that you work at EF Puri Indah, I instantly thought of Mall Puri Indah, which I used to visit frequently. :D

Cheers!