Tuesday 9 November 2010

Bogor Botanical Garden Kebun Raya

I enjoy my little trips to the botanical gardens in Bogor as it feels so different and is quiet and green and full of trees and a million miles away from anything Jakarta has to offer, which in itself is a huge shame, as the city is crying out for a park where people can just visit, wander about and sit in.
The gardens in Bogor are next to the Presidents Palace and are fairly big and every time I visit I notice something different or something has changed and hopefully for the better. 
Taking a Becak from the railway station was a lot easier than walking up the hill to the entrance and this time we went in through the entrance by the post office, which I have never seen open before.
10,000 rupiah later we are in the gardens and its kind of a nice feeling especially as you need to push your way through the vendors selling food, drinks, toys, black plastic bags and then you are in a world full of trees.


However the first sign you see is one that tells you all things you can't do, I wonder if there is a place in the world that tells you what you can do.
Odd you can't play football, but you can buy blow up balls in the park, cant drive bus in but they have little mini vans running about carrying the lazy people, Can't have fires yet the workers are setting fire to trees and rubbish which all seems a little contradictory, But then this is Indonesia.
The roads are well maintained and lined with well cared for trees, you can wander around the park and over the grass and down the small paths.










The palace is lovely and is the official home of the president. It is stunning to look at and it is a shame you cant get any closer. The gardens are fenced in and there are deer that eat the grass inside as well as many figurines and statues.



This one has to be a favourite and I have no idea what it is supposed to represent


The deer looked pretty chilled out and they are fairly tame and can be fed by hand if you want





From one of the bridges you can see the locals and their washing, the river is fast flowing and the rocks must have come from further upstream. It must be pretty impressive to see the river running when there has been lots of rain.



Just some of the flowers that were out at the time, the gardens has a orchid garden, herb garden, somewhere in there are giant rafflasias and also a nursery for plants





The restaurant is a welcome stop to eat and watch the clouds go by. The large grass slope often fills up with people and the ponds at the bottom are full of flowers.


The cactus garden and palm tree collections are great and there are some very old and very tall trees in there
There is also a museum full of skeletons and stuffed animals and bug collections. There is also a dutch cemetary and memorials to Thomas Raffles, the great Englishman who created the park, built the palace, rediscovered Borburdur, founded Singapore and wrote some of the best books to detail Indonesia.
Still once you leave the gardens, the peace, the secret corners for the young lovers, the giant ants and humid tree lined avenues, you are immediately immersed back into the randomness all of all again where money talks louder than sense and roundabouts that could have ornate statues have huge telecommunication icons instead...




 




10 comments:

Multibrand said...

Hi Luke,
The Bogor Botanical Garden is a very nice place to visit. I haven't been there for many years.
Nice photos!

Jolly Princess said...

Never mind about the donts. Lovely place! Looks like I will enjoy walking in their in the morning. :)

Ria Tumimomor said...

you were having a lot fun! Thanks for sharing the pics :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,
I am back.

Kerala ayurveda said...

Your stills are good. Planting huge big plants in home are not possible, so I have kept little plants in my home. In a rainy days it looks more beautiful than before season.

Jolly Princess said...

Opppss! I mean in there. I am alright friend, just busy. Your shout mix is not in here anymore. I leaving my message here. :)

Unknown said...

@everyone, thanks for my comments, sorry I have been distracted recently.
@JP my shout mix is working for me...

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there

Anonymous said...

I am just curious about the cost of living there in Bogor. How much would you spend for food and some groceries for each month? Also, how much do you think is a reasonable budget per month including transportation expenses and utilities?Hope you could share some information.

Unknown said...

@Anonymous, I wish I knew who you were so I could contact you directly. I don't live in Bogor but in Jakarta. I imagine the prices are relatively similar and the amount you spend really depends on your lifestyle. I have a blog post http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2010/05/cost-of-living-jakarta.html which contains some general costs of living, and whilst some things have increased in price the majority still reflects todays prices.
I hope this helps