Wednesday 10 June 2015

Bricked Nexus 5

The best phone I have had since the good old Nokia days finally gave up the ghost on Thursday last week and decided to no longer work or load.

My Nexus 5 which I have had for November and complained about at 2 times since decided recently to keep crashing and stopping. Extensive research through the internet led me to believe that the problem behind this was the Update to Android Lollipop 5.1.1 which was behind it and so I let it go.
Then to my horror and displeasure on Thursday it crashed, went to reboot and never started up again.

So more frantic searching led me to this:

Nexus Help Forum

This was very helpful and gave lots of helps and simple instruction but then after following them I had this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/

Which would sugges the phone was 'bricked' and therefore rendered useless leading me back to my Tab and my emergency lenovo cheap and cheerful phone until I could fix it.

I tweeted my news and had help from Nexus support but sadly they were really unable to help but it felt reassuiring.


So, on Monday having the day already booked off I took my phone to the LG service centre in Jakarta which happily is not far from my house in the hope it would be sent away and repaired.

To my surprise, the service center staff spoke English. Took my phone and started to fix it in front of me and then told me that it needed a new ROM as the current one had failed and that they had one in stock. It would take them 10 minutes to replace and so I waited and eventually I was called back to the counter where I was given my Nexus 5 back in complete working order and all parts and labour were covered under its warranty. I was and am still more than pleased. It was a good job from LG and probably means that the 5.1.1 upgrade was not too blame. 

3 hours later, all the apps and settings were back on and the phone now is as good as new and whilst I have not upgraded to 5.1.1 yet I will do in the near future so I can upgrade to Android M whenever that is due.

Hooray.



Some links

LG service centre


Forum help and advice







No comments: