Tuesday 12 June 2012

House break in

Getting home from a 12 hour day at work, I was very surprised to see the lights on inside the house, the gate wide open and the front door wide open.
So after initially thinking my fiancee was there, I could not see her shoes, instead just lots of green painted wood by the front door.

I went into the house and yes, I had been burgled and things had been taken.

Both bedrooms had been gone through, clothes on the floor and boxes opened. In the family room my netbook and cables were gone. From the bedroom 2 pairs of my fiancees wedding shoes, a watch and most upsetting of all the wedding rings had been taken but the box they were in remained.

The value of the loss was not huge but the fact the house has been broken into, my netbook containing my photos from around the world and the wedding things have been taken is cause enough to be angry and upset.

Speaking to the neighbours, many houses had been broken into in Mampang and there is little being done about it. The night watchman who carries a gun and a knife, just in case was not on duty when it happened.

Today, new locks have been purchased, the door will be repaired and life goes on. A police report has been completed, although I never went as the cost and hassle increases, but I know that there is little that will be done and nothing will be recovered.

The robbing scum however missed other stuff and also never took my passport which is a blessing. I hope that misfortune, bad karma, a big truck, whatever enters their lives and well, it hurts and hurts them alot.

I can only imagine the house was being watched. I am watched constantly by the locals, I am sure they know my every move. This is something you get as an expat living in Jakarta.

Tomorrow, back to work but hopefully someone staying in the house so the chances of it happening again become never.
  


I know this post is a bit messy, promise to clean it up tomorrow. Sent this from my tab as, well, I no longer own a netbook.

10 comments:

hayes said...

being caucasian, or simply foreign, would be enough for criminals to target you. they assume everyone foreign must be filthy rich. it's also possible that the watchmen colluded with the burglars. my parents' house, though in an elite gated community, is badly derelict, so no thief will want to steal anything just by looking at the ugly leaking ceiling in the porch.

not to scare anyone, but indonesian criminals are known to kill mercilessly to escape, since this is a lawless country anyhow. i personally would worry more about the person staying in the house.

Unknown said...

I agree that collusion took place and I know the place is watched all the time. I am not afraid of what might happen if I stood up to people like that, I just hope it does happen again.

Yuma said...

Luke,

My sympathies to you. Hope those people who colluded and ransacked your house profited little and will lose much in the future. I hope this doesn't diminish your enthusiasm in living in Jakarta and updating us with your adventures. Stay calm, what's lost was inevitable and may this event be a strenghthener of your character.

Obat Asam Urat said...

postinga yang menarik,,,,,,,,,,

mo said...

Luke, i can feel your sadness and I am sorry to know this. I had the similar incident when my laptop was stolen. The photos, data and information in it are priceless. Life must go on and I believe you learned something from this case.
regards,
mo

Unknown said...

Hi Yuma, thank you for the comments. It will take a lot more than a break in to break the spirit thats for sure.

Unknown said...

Hi Mo

Thank you for your kind words.

Jolly Princess said...

I have not been online for almost a month so sorry for the losses. Just be careful..

starkravingsober said...

I'm sorry this happened to you Lukey, I hope that this is the last time you both ever have such trouble xxx

Unknown said...

HI JP, Thank you for the words. Careful,yes I am now far far more careful.

SRS, thank you, I hope there is no more trouble as well, time will tell. Can only hope :)