Wednesday 28 December 2011

Farewell 2011


Wow, that was one big year for me. In some ways it was annus horribilis what with the loss of a dear friend and teacher and the aftermath.
However on the other hand it was a magnum anni (a great year) of which I am listing through the months through this blog post.
This is my last post of 2011 as well, as I am off to Bali to celebrate the end of this year and to welcome in the new year and all the promise and hope and excitement it brings with it. Oh and maybe just maybe, too drunk to blog but never too drunk to phone mum and dad. Bali is 8 hours ahead of England so that just makes things so much better. I can call people in the afternoon and wish them happy new year before passing out. Cant wait...

January
I celebrated the birth of 2011 in Frome, my home town with my cousin Emma in the Wheatsheaf, coming up for air around 1am, Kebab and sick on the way home and then hungover for the rest of it.
Tony drove me to the airport and Helen said goodbye. Such good friends.
Flew to Jakarta, then flew to Bali. Proposed to my girlfriend, on her birthday and agreed the date for the wedding in 2012.
Started another year with English First, welcomed new teachers and waved old teachers goodbye. And went again to Bali for the annual conference. Ended up in a gay cafe in a power cut with friends and well a night which should be forgotten.

February
Trips to Singapore  due to visa issues. Saving money and arranged for another year in the apartments after loosing the will to live after looking at Kosts in Tanjung Duren.

March
Earth hour in Starbucks with low level lighting and the rest of the place lit up  like a Christmas tree. Visits to malls and it seems working lots and lots but still the weather was nice.

April
Sighting seeing through Jakarta again which is always great fun. Trip to Kuala Lumpur for the day with teachers and my fiancee which was great fun.

May
Visa time after another trip to Singapore. Bacon sandwiches and Strongbow in Muddy Murphys which was a welcome relief.
Time out in Yogja for a weekend which was great and nice to see Merapi and the cool and lovely Java countryside.
My blog reached 10,000 visitors which was exciting and it was also threatened to be closed by lawyers of Gary Larson who claimed I breached copyright. Best not call them names just in case they are still checking.

June
A month of mourning as one of my teachers died. Took time to move on  but I have.
The center celebrated my birthday with a cake and it was a nice surprise amongst all the sadness.
Took a day trip to Paris Van Java ( Bandung) by train and enjoyed the journey and the day out.

July
Big party at Planet Hollywood with lots of kids and someone called Petra Sihombang. Managed to watch Harry Potter finally as major movies started coming back into the country after a brief spell of absence.

August
Idul Fitry came and went and I spent the time in the city, avoiding the noise and the traffic which was nice. Huge riots in England caused shockwaves across the world and was saddening to see. Managed to get my SIM for another year after a trip to the licensing center in Dann Mogot.
Took a day trip out to Bidadari Island, 20 minutes from Ancol.

September
I dont remember doing anything useful in this month at all. Work work work...

October
Said goodbye to Blackberry once and for all and welcome back Nokia as I changed phones again for the 3rd time this year.
Trip to the unknown and unfriendly wildlife sanctuary at Angke Muara.

November
Had the chance to stay in the Mulia Hotel at Senayan which was nice and very posh. 3rd trip to Bali and to sort out the wedding with our wedding planner. Visited the 'Rock Bar' and plan to return very soon.
It was nice to return to the island although Kuta is becoming more ugly by the day.

December
Annual conference with English First in the Morrissey hotel next to Jalan Jaksa was a great couple of days and very upbeat.
Spent some time away from work before the Christmas break shopping and taking it easy. Christmas in the Akmani hotel and lunch at Eastern Promise made Christmas far more special.
Now flying to Bali to meet some old friends to see in the new year and enjoy the last moments of a challenging and difficult year.

Overall life seemed a little quieter, I did manage to visit 5 different countries (if you count the stop over in Qatar on the way back here), get to Bali 4 times, Singapore 2 times, Malaysia once. Visit some of Java. Get 3 different phones, and a Tab.
I also did the most exciting thing ever, I got engaged and organised a date for marriage and it is all sorted out , pretty much.

So, 2012? Lots of things in store I think. Marriage, a new home, See family and friends here, work, Travelling more. And that is just for starters.

And well there we are thats my year all wrapped up. I will leave now wishing each and everyone of you, a happy new year full or success and good fortune. Happy 2012. Bring it on...

Amazing New Year Greeting


9 comments:

Jolly Princess said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My best wishes for you and your girlfried as you start a new life together on your wedding this 2012. :)

Unknown said...

Wishing you a Happy New Year 2012, Luke.

Unknown said...

Hi JP, thank you for the comment, happy new year, all the success in the world for 2012 and I look forward to reading your blog when you have time to write. Take care and keep in touch :)

Unknown said...

Hi Harry, Happy new year to you to and to your family. I hope 2012 brings you all success and good fortune. Take it easy

amel anniza said...

didn't know you blog, too. should've posted your blog link since your earlier comments on mine.

so you work for ef? i applied there in 2006. they wanted me so bad they called back thrice. but i declined. don't want to teach for the school in pluit, too far.

thanks so much for reading my blog! hope you get the best of living in jakarta.

Unknown said...

Hi Amel, thank you for the comments, I have been blogging for a while now. We can share links if you want. That would be good. Let me know

Tikno said...

Happy New Year to you and family and also to all readers here.
Hopefully the prophecy about doomsday in 12-12 from ancient Mayan tribe not proven because God still love us. LOL.

Unknown said...

Hi Tikno, Thank you for your message. I am sure the Mayan prophecy wont come true!. Happy new year and a great 2012 for you.

amel anniza said...

sure. i'll link to this blog on my blog sidebar.