Tuesday 24 March 2015

Sick not sick

 About a month ago I was diagnosed with Typhoid/Typhus/Tipes and a host of other same sounding names which pretty much all mean the same term. Happily since then I have been given the all clear of Typhus which is good but still I am not 100% right after all this time.

We did eventually go back to the hospital and I had another blood test and was declared free of Typhus and because I was still displaying symptons on the said illness the doctor rather worryingly prescribed me some Immodium just in case and some vitamins. I took the vitamins. There were useful. The Immodium is still in its shiny packaging and probably will never be taken.

You have to love taking tablets out here

Then last week I went back to the doctor as things are still not correct and luckily for me the doctor not only did not want to give me another blood test but he spoke nigh on perfect English and so I could tell him whats going on rather through my wife. And happily again he prescribed some more antibiotics to help clear everything up but with the information that I need to eat no vegetables or fruit or juice or coffee or fried stuff but to eat rice and meat and oats. What an exciting palette that leaves me to savour.
Since the advice I have had to have some coffee, because I need to start work early in the week and meat comes in burger buns and fries are never optional. Orange juice I could stop drinking though. Its not real orange juice but some manufactured crap full of water and sugar but its nice with digestive biscuits.

I turned the bed rest down what with one thing and another happening in and around my life and so I have been instructed to stop going to work so early, rest on the weekends and slow down a lot. I am sleeping as much as I can but if we take this week so far from Monday then its hard to see how I will be able to sleep much more.

Sunday night slept at 11pm and woke at 5 for work. Home by 8pm and bed by 10.30. This morning Jeremy is emptying his toys over my head at 5am and wont let me sleep any more  for the day. I will get home at 9.30 tonight (I started work at 11.30 today) and will be up again at 5am for more early classes. Who said anything about living the dream?



Due to this prolonged illness and fatigue I constantly have I missed a chance to take a weekend off and ride out with some colleagues to the west cost of Java some 300km round trip. That bit is disappointing but I do know it would not have helped me much with things and the last thing I want is more discomfort.  But I am sure there will be another time.

Finally time to moan about the traffic and the headache it is now causing me and will continue to do for at least the rest of the year. There is new elevated road being constructed on my way to work which will end on the main non tollway road from east Jakarta. This road is far too busy without any need for roadworks, so the fact the road has been reduced from 4 to 2 lanes in places (which includes a dedicated bus lane) and the police stand about and watch and are not seeming to do anything to divert traffic it is adding an extra 15 minutes to my journey. Now, I could ignore that and take the other main route to work but as there is an MRT being built and part of the same elevated road the traffic there is even worse. Add to it the fact that people are also looking to find less chaos on their way to work means the roads all around the area I live in are constant gridlock from 5am to 10pm.

Sort of stuff I ride in everday and its gets frustrating

Friday night there was a huge rain storm over the city which lasted a good few hours and this meant that my journey home time on a bike was 1.5 hours as every road I could take home was closed due to floods or traffic so I ended going way out of the way to get home, only to discover the street outside my house was full of broken down bikes which had failed to get through the 60cm floods all around my house. As much as I loathe to say it, roll on the dry season!!!

No comments: