Sunday 7 October 2012

Streets of Jakarta

So reaching slowly into October the clouds have started to form and now the rain is coming if not erratically but its coming, slowly but surely. Last week on Friday was the first night I have had to put on the rain coat and ride home wet. Made a change but everything slowed down and it took even longer than normal to get through the city streets.

Getting bored of risking death crossing the railway between Senayan and Permata Hijau and then fighting all the way to Tendean and racing lights to get home quickly, I have changed my route somewhat and now go via Radio Dalam, Polim, Pasar Burung and then into Tendean via Santa and then down into the melting pot that is Mampang. This has shaved around 10 minutes off the time it takes to get home, mind I am doing most of the journeys home after 9pm so the traffic is somewhat lighter. However it does feel a little safer, although I still have to cut across traffic and some of the junctions are plain scary. Still keeps me awake and its always good to learn new routes through the city.

Rambling on, it now appears that the Carrefour Market and mini plaza thing at Tendean has closed down for ever and will be knocked down and turned into something less useful like posh apartments. That should help the traffic. I kind of liked the Carrefour despite the bugs as it was full of stuff I wanted to buy unlike the local Giant which has a lot of stuff I want but not too much. 

So that means more queues in Giant and less choice but still. I can always wander down to Pejaten Village and shop at the equally uninspiring Hypermart. There is a Carrefour relatively near but I have been warned its not the nicest of places nor the friendliest or the safest and with the rumours of people being kidnapped there, well best I don't go at all!

Haven't been up to much what with one thing and another but I must admit I have converted from Starbucks to Coffee Bean due to better coffee and sandwiches and whilst more expensive, they seem nicer. The one in Pejaten Village is OK if they have sandwiches and if there is not live music event directly next to it.
I managed to have a crafty curry on Saturday in Eastern Promise, Kemang and the Beef Madras and Beef Bindaloo (Yovitas, she likes curry as well) were excellent and the beer of course was just what was needed. 

I am lucky (?)  enough to travel into the city twice a week now on a teaching assignment somewhere right next to the main Post Ofice at Pasar Baru. I really should take photos of my trip but I am trying to wake up and also drinking red hot coffee in the car and it takes almost all my energy not spill it on me and suffer 3rd degree burns. 

The buildings themselves are magnificent old dutch buildings and as the school is built next to the Cathedral I am trying to get a free tour round the place to see it all for myself. Watch this space.

Outside the post office building next to Dunkin Doughnuts


 The old school

The Cathedral
 Religious harmony, the Istiqlal Mosque can just be seen as well 

A better view of the school


1 comment:

Angela said...

Thanks for giving us this look into Indonesia. Very interesting! And thanks for following my blog. I'm following you back.