Sunday 14 October 2012

Pasar Baru

Having finished my teaching at the school I go to in the mornings, I was picked up by the driver and was told that he had to go to Pasar Baru to pick up a camera. Seemed fair enough.

Pasar Baru or 'new market' is a semi covered street in the city and sells all sorts of stuff but mainly shoes and textiles and suits. It is located near Istiqlal Mosque and the Cathedral and you can get to it by going on Transjakarta and getting off at Pasar Baru, by train from Juanda or just take a taxi there. Easy.

It is very reminiscent of Petaling Street in Kuala Lumpur or a poor relation of it. Both are covered and full of stuff but as usual in Jakarta you can drive your car or bike through the street which in my opinion is a big mistake. 

I ended up in an airless no AC plaza which had no working escalators and seemed to have had better days although I was told the camera repair shop is one of the best there. Who am I to argue at that?


Petaling Street Kuala Lumpur

 The big arch on the way in, Pasar Baru Jakarta

 Amost nice

 Watches and gold

 Non branded cheap and cheerful stuff

Why are cars allowed?

 Sunglasses

Lots of traditional snacks here

I don't think I would enjoy the place when it is busy but it was an interesting to have a quick wander around and see whats what. Not sure it is a place for tourists either as there did not seem to much in the way of tourist tat and stuff, although I am not again sure if that is a bad thing.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Luke,
I have been to Pasar Baru for almost 2 decades.
Before 1994 I lived in Tomang Raya, at that time Pasar Baru was one of my favorite place to buy shoes.
I agree that there is similarity between Pasar Baru and Petaling Street, or perhaps Chopwkit area, in KL.
I also agree that vehicles should not be allowed to enter Pasar Baru.

Unknown said...

Hi Harry, The market seems nice enough and is an interesting diversion here. But it should be traffic free, it would a much better place to visit then.

Jolly Princess said...

At least you enjoyed taking those photos and had great exercise.:) Oh, the items being sold are neatly arranged.

badut jakarta said...

yup cause our country still in grow to be better n better

blog majalengka said...

I've nice story at pasar baru :p

bibit majalengka said...

ku tunggu di pasar baru

rongno1 said...


Telenor Internet Packages 2g+3g+4g Daily 3days Weekly Monthly Internet Bundle My Best

Friends Choose Your Favorite Package And Get Code Dial Your Phone And Enjoy

If You Use Telenor Networks Then Let Us Tell You All The Internet Packages Of Telenor So That You Can Use The Best Internet And Besides,

If You Have Not Yet Used Telenor Networks Then You Can You Or Your Wish Is Exactly What

We Call You Telenor As Well As The Packages Of The Daily Month Package For A Three-Day

Package, Seven Days Package, And The Weekend Package Means To Tell You Today,telenor internet pakages