Sunday 25 March 2012

Shopping in Jakarta

Plaza Senayan, Senayan City, Semanngi, Pejaten Village, Puri Mall, Epicentrum Rasuna, Pasar Festival Rasuna, TIS, Sarinah, Java dept store, Central Park, Blok M Pasya Raya are all places I have been to over the past couple of weekssearching for clothes and things for the house.  Mainly clothes for the wedding for myself, my fiancee etc. and also things to make the house more a house.

Jakarta has little else going for it at the end of the day when you are in the city and there is a holiday. No real parks or art galleries or museums or theatre that is accessible to all but malls, plazas, squares, shops, stores and all over again.

However for a change my luck was in. Being 189cm and not thin with size 11.5 feet (UK), clothing is not so cheap or easy to find. But over the past couple of weeks I have been fortunate.

Marks and Spencers in Senayan City have my size in shirts and trousers and shoes. It is not cheap but the clothes and quality are worth the money. I found shoes in Metro department store. Clarks shoes from almost 2 million to 1.3 million in the sale but that was too expensive. M&S has similar shoes for a million. Shirts and trousers were easy and with promotions a plenty in the spring sale, I managed to get some good deals for clothing. In the Debenhams sale I got again shirts that fit and are tailored.
The Java department store has a great range of cheap clothes that fit and so that was good as well. Next in Central Park have jeans in my size and the exact same ones I got in England and the price is almost the same so that's useful to know.

I now have only to find sports wear and shoes to fit and I will be finally at ease with shopping here. Now the next step is to wrestle with the cost of it all.

After all this searching for clothing, I have what I need for the wedding so that's one thing less to worry about.

Now to discuss the lack of anything interesting in Ace hardware. Not to lambast it too much but it is very boring. I have been to a couple of stores recently and yes I have found what I needed but it is overpriced and far too cluttered with stuff that I am sure people buy.
Their gardening center is poor. Their kitchenware is poor. Paint and brushes OK. The current sale has so much on offer it is impressive and we walked away with a table at a great price. However there is little competition in this area of retail at the moment, actually I don't think there is any competition for Ace currently, not in chain store contender fashion. Lots of local small retailers but no major chains. I guess that would explain a lot of the reasons they can do what they do and sell what they sell.

After all these visits to all these different places I have a fairly good knowledge of what is inside and what to expect. Not sure how that helps but it does. 

2 comments:

Jolly Princess said...

I love plants as you do my friend. I have a terrace in my apartment and right now I have all sorts of plants in there, not flowering plants though. I have bitter gourd one of my favorite vegetables and oregano. My poinsettia is dark green now. It used to be red last Christmas. My bitter gourd has plenty of small fruits now. I am hoping in two weeks time I could harvest and a fruit and cook it.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. You know exactly when to make me smile. :)

Unknown said...

Hi JP, Thanks for the comment. My front yard will contain an awful lot of plants I am sure about that. My fiancee is on a mission and will buy lots for us. Not sure about growing anything to eat, just nice plants to look at.
Have a great day :)